Did a Loved One Experience Nursing Home Abuse?
Nursing Home Abuse
The companies that operate nursing homes have come under close scrutiny in recent years due to the high number of injuries and deaths of nursing home residents. Because the nursing home industry has become a multi-billion dollar business comprised of major corporations, in some facilities profitability has become more important than administering proper care. The New York Times has reported that 90% of all nursing home facilities have been cited for violating federal health and safety standards.
Nursing homes and rehabilitation facilities are responsible for providing quality care to patients and residents. If an injury occurs because of a nursing home’s negligence, or even worse, due to direct abuse, the nursing home is responsible for compensating the patient for his or her injury. Compensation includes reimbursement for pain and suffering, medical bills, and the loss of enjoyment of life. There are also state laws that provide additional protections to nursing home patients.
In any situation where a patient or resident of a nursing home is seriously injured as a result of the nursing home’s inadequate care, the patient should seek the advice of an attorney. It is difficult to have a nursing home compensate you fairly for your injuries without the help of an attorney.
Common Signs of Nursing Abuse
- Bed sores
- Mental or emotional fatigue
- Bruising bones or fractures
- Unexplained weight loss
- Poor hygiene
- Caregivers refusing to leave patient alone with others
Nursing Abuse Statistics
- There are over 3 million people living in nursing homes or other care facilities in the U.S.
- Sadly nearly 40% of those residents will experience some form of abuse while in professional care.
- Nursing abuse can occur at a variety of facilities including nursing homes, rehab facilities, assisted living facilities, group care homes, and others.
- It is estimated that nearly 1 in every 10 elderly persons will experience some form of abuse yet the majority of cases continue to go unreported.
Goldberg Attorneys knows how to GET THE MONEY YOU DESERVE.